Employers do and can expect a certain number of leaves from their employees in a year, some amounts to be paid whereas some are not. Absenteeism is intentional or sometimes habitual leave from work. This is backed up by reasons such as health issues, unexpected calamity or accidents. But then there is absenteeism due to lack of willingness to come to the office due to a number of factors which we are going to discuss here in this blog. We will also try to focus on the measures that can be taken to reduce absenteeism from work which again hampers the growth of the employee, productivity and finally hitting hard at the financial face of the company.
Causes of Absenteeism
Some causes of absenteeism are listed below:
- Harassment or Bullying at work by Co-colleagues or Boss
- Disengagement of the Employee at Work
- Child or Elders at Home to be taken Care of
- Prey to Alcoholism
- Job Search / Attending Job Interviews
- Religious holiday or Family Functions
These causes are some of the main reasons which can be seen at work but are not limited to the reasons of absenteeism.
Now that we are clear with the causes of absenteeism, let us see possible ways to tackle these:
- Make sure your employees are clear and understand the attendance policy of the company well.
- Assess and make sure that company includes in its policy a decent number of paid sick leave for employees which will also help the employees to keep track of their own records of attendance.
- Work to make the work environment fit to work and keep an eye on happenings that might be unhealthy to the office environment
- Consider rewarding good attendance.
- Look out for wellness program and employee overall development to help the employee build a sense of belongingness and trust with the company.
- If possible and suitable try to introduce Flexi working hours.
These are some of the tested ways to tackle absenteeism and improve workplace. However, there is one factor which, if not entirely, but is still worth a try. Try hiring correct people for the correct position rather than stuffing employees who do not even to get engaged. Try connecting with a reputed recruitment consultant like T&A Solutions. They are appreciated for their recruitments in Mumbai, Bangalore, Gurgaon, Hyderabad and Chandigarh via their local offices at these locations.